General

Dustin Poirier to Fight Khabib

»Posted by on Apr 16, 2019 in Fighter, General, MMA | Comments Off on Dustin Poirier to Fight Khabib

Dustin Poirier to Fight Khabib

In the recent main event at UFC 236, Dustin Poirier managed to claim the interim lightweight title by beating Max Holloway in the fifth round.

Sunday last week, we saw the two determined fighters enter the octagon to fight for the interim title as a result of Khabib’s suspension due to a post-fight brawl in 2018 at UFC 229. The rightful title holder was suspended for only nine months but decided to extend it until his teammates are allowed to fight again, meaning he won’t fight for 12 months.

However, we expect to see Khabib take back to the octagon by the end of 2019, which means he will step into a fight with Dustin to determine who gets to keep the lightweight title.

There are also many other fighters lining up to complete against Khabib in when he returns, including Dustin Gaethje, Conor McGregor and possibly Tony Ferguson. However, all of them would have to wait as the current title holder Dustin Poirier now has priority.

Dana White confirmed the fight following the title victory on Sunday, stating that Khabib and Dustin will be the next to fight for the title. He also mentioned that the event is most likely to take place in September of 2019, but it has not been confirmed as well. We expect to see Khabib return around September, making this the first fight he walks into as he is welcomed back.

Unlike Khabib, Poirier didn’t manage to get up in MMA quite as fast, but he did have a promising career ahead of him from the very start. After his first four wins, he seemed to have hit the brakes though, which he then decided to make a career move and join the lightweight category in 2015.

It might have taken his 22 fights to make his way to a title fight, but there’s no doubt that Poirier has what it takes to defend the title. Even Dana White says he shouldn’t be criticised for how long it took and as we all know, Dustin has been a victim of the media.

Now, with the interim title, he has the first choice to take on Khabib and finally claim this way to become a fighter he is meant to be seen as. When you look at all the details, Dustin should consider himself lucky for the opportunity as Toiny Ferguson was the first choice for the title fight. However, Tony turned down the offer as he wants nothing less than a full title fight against Khabib.

While the fight against Max Holloway would’ve given him just that, We saw Tony decline the offer, thinking he would be one of the fighters lining up to take on Khabib when he returns. However, it’s unlikely for Tony to take part now as he has been dealing with personal issues and hasn’t been involved with UFC as much.

read more

MMA Legend Conor McGregor Tweets his Retirement

»Posted by on Apr 1, 2019 in General, MMA | Comments Off on MMA Legend Conor McGregor Tweets his Retirement

MMA Legend Conor McGregor Tweets his Retirement

Conor McGregor has been some of the significant focus around MMA fighting news for a last couple of months, but things seemed to have called down until he attacked a fan for trying to take a picture of the fighter outside a hotel in Nevada.

Now, with that almost in the past as well and nearly at the end of his suspension, the professional fighter announced that he would be retiring from MMA.

The Tweet hit his page on the 26th of March 2019, wishing all his colleagues well and including that he will be retiring to join his former partners who are in retirement already.

Not the First Time he Mentioned Retirement

While Tweets like this are sure to get people talking, it seems many are taking it rather lightly as the lightweight champ has done it before.

In April 2016, McGregor used the popular social platform Twitter to announce early retirement as well. In a quick Tweet, he said he decided to retire young and that he is thankful for the cheese. The first retirement was announced when he was just 27 years old and had just lost the second time in a row to Nathan Diaz by submission. By now, we know the retirement threat never went through, and McGregor was seen in the octagon multiple times after that.

Reason for Retirement this Time

Now at 30 years old, we see McGregor hasn’t been having the best start to 2019 as he entered the year with a hearing and being suspended for six months after the post-fight brawl that was started by opponent Khabib at the time.

This means we haven’t seen McGregor take on any fighters in UFC since UFC229, which was way back in October 2019. His suspension is said to end next month, and he has already been lined up with fighting opportunities, which is where it all began.

McGregor was set to fight against Donald Cerrone, but just last week, Donald was booked to take on Al Iaquinta instead, which takes place in May of this year. At the same time, the UFC wanted McGregor to take part as the co-main event, but it didn’t take long before he turned down the offer. Instead, of accepting, he said he wants shares in UFC for taking part as the co-main event.

McGregor says all he asks for are shares as he knows he would be pushing up the views, for now, ESPN+ event. He says he is more than winning to take part, even in the first fight, but all he wants are shares in UFC.

The idea of getting shares in UFC isn’t a new thing either. McGregor has been pushing for stocks since the first two-division champ match where he took the lightweight title. However, the UFC seems against the idea, which could be the main reason for the retirement.

read more

Khabib Says Ferguson had his Chance at the Title

»Posted by on Mar 11, 2019 in General | Comments Off on Khabib Says Ferguson had his Chance at the Title

Khabib Says Ferguson had his Chance at the Title

Recently stripped of his lightweight title to be rewarded to another interim fighter, Khabib Nurmagomedov says he doesn’t get when Ferguson is upset. After the brawl at UFC229, Khabib was suspended for attacking teammates of his opponent Conor McGregor. The UFC boss, Dana White told Khabib he wouldn’t be able to hold onto the title while he sits out with teammates who received 12-month suspensions for their part in the chaos. Instead of completely stripping him of the title, UFC will reward the title to the winner of a UFC 236 fight, taking place on the 13th of April 2019. The winner will hold onto the title until Khabib returns later on this year.

With the title on the line, most boxing fans expected Tony Ferguson and Max Holloway to step into the octagon to see who gets to claim it. However, to the surprise of most, Ferguson refused the fight as he feels his hard work and training deserves more than just an interim title. It’s suggested that Ferguson only wants a fight with Khabib once he returns. They can take it out in the octagon to see who the ultimate lightweight fighting champion is for good.

Khabib Says Tony had his Chance and Missed it

Khabib takes to popular social media platform Instagram to deliver his thoughts on the title fight. Beginning by stating that he cannot fight Tony due to the suspension. He goes on to explain that it’s unfair for the UFC to strip him of the title as he fought three times within just nine months to defend the title.

He also adds that he had three opportunities of his own to claim the title, but didn’t for various reasons. Including a fight in 2016 where a possible battle against Ramadan was offered, which he turned down. The second opportunity was at UFC 205 in New York where he signed, but the title was given away. Finally, the third time, was at UFC 209 when he was taken to the hospital and almost died.

Finally, the Instagram message ended with Khabib explain that Tony is a great fighter and that he certainly deserves a title, but with the way things are now with him being disqualified, Tony would either need to wait for the fight or he would need to get in the fight now and claim the interim title. He also adds that the fight against him is unlikely since the UFC doesn’t want it.

If Tony waits for Khabib’s disqualification to be over, he would need to wait until the end of the year before the fight would be possible. The only problem would the winner of the interim battle for the title as they would need to take on Khabib to determine who would keep it. Therefore, Khabib would need to win, and then Tony can line up for the fight against Khabib.

read more

Professional Fighting News

»Posted by on Feb 28, 2019 in General | Comments Off on Professional Fighting News

Professional Fighting News

Fighting news has been a hot topic in the last week. We have seen multiple major shifts as fighters once again making news with major brawls at professional events. Luckily, there is some general news as well, but fights outside the fighting area have caused even this.

It’s quite disappointing to see these things happen as it puts a hold on possible fights and significant events for the sport. Not only do professional fighters get disqualified, but it puts a substantial shift on the respect we have for the fighters. On top of that, they destroy their careers, perhaps not instantly, but it positively affects what they can achieve. Below, we look at some of the latest news revolving around the UFC lightweight title and a massive brawl that took place at the BJJ event in Brazil.

Santos Attacks Pena’s Teammates at BJJ Main Event

Some of the biggest fighting news in the last week has to involve the jiu-jitsu fight between Erberth Santos and Felipe Pena, which started usually but didn’t end well for Santos at all. It all went well, and the fight was underway, but when Pena attempted to sweep Santos, it resulted in Santos falling to the ground in pain. He claimed his knee had been injured and the fight was put on hold to provide Santos with medical attention. While the team was looking him over, an argument broke out between Santos. Pena’s teammates who were saying he is faking the injury and he should get up and fight instead.

It wasn’t long after when Santos amazingly jumped to his feet and ran to the team to attack a black belt student, Daniel Thedit. Of course, the first thing wrong with this action is the fact that he was able to run with a supposed to be injured knee. He went on to start the fight, which was met with loads of people getting involved. Some were trying to add to the brawl by attaching team members while others were trying to stop the fight and get them separated.

With all this going on and Santos unable to get to Daniel, he changed his mind and set sights on another student named Servio Junqueira instead. He pushed Servio right off the podium, fell himself and was met by a series of punches and kicks as Pena fans attacked Santos.

Interim Lightweight Title Fight Declined by Ferguson

With Khabib out for most of 2019, thanks to a brawl he started in 2018, Dana White decided he cannot hold onto the lightweight title until he returns. Therefore, the UFC plans to line up a fight for someone else to retain the title until Khabib enters the octagon once again.

Naturally, the first and most deserving choice was Tony Ferguson, but not long after being offered the fight against Max Holloway, he decided the match and posted that he deserves more. Now, the title fight goes to Max Holloway and Dustin Poirier who will step into the octagon in April 2019.

read more

Khabib vs. Mayweather Rumour

»Posted by on Jan 29, 2019 in General | Comments Off on Khabib vs. Mayweather Rumour

Khabib vs. Mayweather Rumour

UFC 229 has Khabib vs. McGregor, and those who follow MMA would know that ended badly after Khabib simply had McGregor giving up by round 4. However, after the fight, lots of things went wrong, so much so that both the fighters were suspended by the NAC (Nevada Athletic Commission).

However, they’ll soon be ruling on what’s to happen with the case, but most suspect both fighters will once again be allowed to return to the octagon.


As we all know, McGregor has been pushing Khabib for yet another fight, but with the way it went last time, he doesn’t think McGregor actually deserve it. Decides, it seems as if Khabib has bigger fights in mind once he returns. There are various options available for the fighter, and he is even reconsidering a match up with Tony Ferguson, which is bound to be a powerful event as both these fighters are at the top of the line-up.


However, if Khabib has to consider a “money fight” like Mayweather and McGregor had just a few years ago, he would have to take on Mayweather himself. Just the idea of the fight already has sparks flying as MMA considers the possibilities.


Khabib has mentioned the idea before but made it a bit more realistic by stating that he has about three serious fights go before retiring and he’d like at least one of them to be a boxing event against no one but Mayweather. Not surprisingly, Mayweather seems all for it and ready to go, but it doesn’t seem as if the fighters have everyone onboard, including Joe Rogan, a UFC commentator.


Millions listen to the podcasts created by Joe, and in a recent one, he spoke to Brendan Schaub and Eddie Bravo where he mentioned it would be better for Khabib to stick to MMA instead of taking part in the super-fight against Mayweather. The podcast also included Rogan stating that he would also advise that Khabib remain with MMA and not take on Floyd who might just be the best boxer, not only of the era but possibly of all time.

The team behind Khabib feel that the results of the fight involving McGregor and Floyd showed them a lot and they are confident that Khabib could have an advantage. Sure, he is a grabber, but when you look at the success, Khabib had against McGregor while on his feet, it simply gives them even more reason to push for the fight. Sure, Floyd also taught McGregor a lesson, but so did Khabib, making it an almost perfect match up.


The fight itself is playing second on the importance as everyone looks at the pay-per-view opportunities of the fight. Rogan stated that the fight could produce as much as a million PPV, provided they set up the fight for two months from now.

read more

2019 Ends Jose Aldo’s UFC Career

»Posted by on Jan 21, 2019 in General | Comments Off on 2019 Ends Jose Aldo’s UFC Career

2019 Ends Jose Aldo’s UFC Career

As yet another season of fighting action lines up, we get excited about the new matches and possibilities the New Year could hold. Unfortunately, we start the year by seeing a brilliant career end.

Jose Aldo, former UFC and WEC champion has recently made it known that his career will be coming to an end in 2019. The fighter has been one of the best in the featherweight division and always delivers an exciting fight when he steps into the octagon.

On the bright side, we’ll still get to see Jose in action for another three fights, giving us reason to believe the best fights Jose has to offer are still to come. The fighter has arranged to attend three more events, which ends his contract and is hoping all the fights will be taking place in Brazil, allowing him to step out of the UFC in the way he has always wanted to.

Fights to Come for Jose Aldo

The news of his retirement come through on Wednesday where he told the media he will be done after the fights coming up in 2019. He is set to enter the rink again on the second of February 2019 where he takes on Renato Moicano.

Other than that, his other opponents haven’t been announced for the remaining 2 fights, but Aldo did mention that the first fight would be in Brazil, the second fight would be in Curitiba, and the final match would take place in Brazil as well.

The fight in February would be in the Fortaleza event where he takes on Moicano, which plays a major role in the other fights he would be completing this year. The next fight would be in May 2019 during the UFC 237 event, but as mentioned, no opponents have been mentioned for the fight.

Jose’s manager and coach has been talking about possible names for the fights, but nothing has been confirmed by the UFC. One thing we do know is that they asked Dana White to make the last three events in Brazil, which seems to have gone well and has been accepted.

We doubt they’ll put Jose up against Max Holloway as he is the current title holder. It would be a great fight, but should Jose end up winning, it would force him to sign another contract.

Why Aldo Retire?

One of the goals for Jose has been to fight but end his career on his own terms instead of not being able to fight anymore. He says he would’ve hated to retire and then use his money to get himself back to health before he can enjoy his time with the family and travel.

He also adds that he wanted toe final fights to be in Brazil so his fans could be at the fights and enjoy the action he has to offer from next to the rink. It seems all has gone well for Jose and that his perfect exit plan is coming together nicely.   

read more