Fighter

Floyd Mayweather Expected to enter Ring in MMA match against McGregor

»Posted by on Mar 22, 2018 in Fighter | Comments Off on Floyd Mayweather Expected to enter Ring in MMA match against McGregor

Floyd Mayweather Expected to enter Ring in MMA match against McGregor

Floyd Mayweather it seems is never happy going out on top and is taking the steps needed to enter mixed martial arts with the hopes of facing Connor McGregor in the cage.
Mayweather had announced that he was retiring from professional fighting after his win again McGregor last year in a bout that saw both fighters walking away with earnings that would make most people never work another day in their life. Yet it seems Mayweather’s ego is getting the best of him, that or the potential purse is catching his eye.

However, Mayweather has applied for a MMA license and told TMZ Sports recently that is plans to start training in mixed martial arts and will need a minimum of eight months to train and prepare to eventually face McGregor in his own backyard. To help him with training, Mayweather has partnered with Tyron Woodley, a UFC welterweight champion.

The fight between Mayweather and McGregor was an easy win for the seasoned fighter. It was one that saw Mayweather retire with an unbeaten record and one of the all-time greats in the sport of boxing. The pay-per-view earnings saw Floyd earning the incredible sum of $300 million ad McGregor taking home close to $100 million.

Time to consider a Rematch

Yet it was not long before both fighters started to think about a rematch. Mayweather said he is more than willing to enter into McGregor’s turf and change styles. Commenting, Floyd said, I can wrestle, my game is not that bad. He added that on a ten scale, he ranks himself a seven and feels he can get that up to a nine over time. He also commented saying that his hand game is 100%, but kicking is an area that will need much improvement.

The proposed fight could be a real boost to the UFC, who have struggled to capture the mainstream market when McGregor, clearly its biggest star, is absent for any period of time. McGregor took the MMA world by storm after facing Jose Aldo, the reigning featherweight champion, in December 2015 and knocking him out in thirteen seconds. Yet McGregor has not been active in the UFC since November of 2016 preferring to switch his attention to his fight against Mayweather and taking a break from the combat sports arena.

Whether an eventual fight will happen is yet to be announced, but one thing is certain, both fighters stand to make a ton of money by agreeing to enter the cage and battle it out. For McGregor, it is his home turf, for Mayweather, he will be entering a space he has yet to dominate or fight in before, and it could mean a level of disgrace for the esteemed fighter.

read more

Bec Hyatt Chosen Chosen to Participate in The Ultimate Fighter 20

»Posted by on Dec 12, 2013 in Company News, Featured Fighter, Fighter | Comments Off on Bec Hyatt Chosen Chosen to Participate in The Ultimate Fighter 20

Bec Hyatt Chosen Chosen to Participate in The Ultimate Fighter 20

 

One month after signaling an interest to open a new UFC women’s division, the promotion has gone all in on strawweights.

UFC President Dana White today announced the promotion has acquired the contracts of 11 Invicta FC fighters, who will compete on the first all-women season of “The Ultimate Fighter” for the inaugural UFC strawweight title.

Filming for the show kicks off May 18 and features Carla Esparza (9-2), Alex Chambers(4-1), Claudia Gadelha (11-0), Felice Herrig (9-5), Bec Hyatt (5-3), Emily Kagan (3-1), Juliana Lima (6-1), Rose Namajunas (2-1),Tecia Torres (4-0), Paige VanZant (3-1) and Joanne Calderwood (8-0). A debut date for the first episode wasn’t immediately announced.

read more

Virgil Zwicker Scores 1st Round Knockout Over Mike Hayes at KSW 25 (Video)

»Posted by on Dec 9, 2013 in Company News, Fighter | Comments Off on Virgil Zwicker Scores 1st Round Knockout Over Mike Hayes at KSW 25 (Video)

Virgil Zwicker Scores 1st Round Knockout Over Mike Hayes at KSW 25 (Video)

 

Virgil Zwicker may have had to travel a long way to fight Mike Hayes, but it took him just 1:12 to knock him out in the first round at KSW 25 in Poland this weekend.

Zwicker improved his record to 12-3 with 9 KO/TKO’s and 2 submissions. Check out the fight in its entirety below.

read more

Danny Castillo Battles Edson Barboza at UFC on Fox 9 This Weekend in Sacramento

»Posted by on Dec 9, 2013 in Company News, Fighter | Comments Off on Danny Castillo Battles Edson Barboza at UFC on Fox 9 This Weekend in Sacramento

Danny Castillo Battles Edson Barboza at UFC on Fox 9 This Weekend in Sacramento

 

UFC on FOX 9 could also be known as UFC: Team Alpha Male.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) continues to stack its return to California’s state capital with hometown fan favorites. The latest addition is a lightweight bout between Edson Barboza vs. Danny Castillo and is set to go down on Dec. 14, 2013 at the Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento.

Castillo, who trains nearby at Team Alpha Male, joins team founder Urijah Faber, who meets Michael McDonald, and Chad Mendes, who fights Nik Lentz, as the plethora of local gym fighters on the card.

UFC officials announced the fight on Wednesday.

“Last Call” has won back-to-back fights since suffering a knockout loss to Michael Johnson (who found out his next fight today, too) nearly a year ago. He went on to beat Paul Sass at UFC on FUEL TV 7 by way of unanimous decision and then in July, at UFC on FOX 8, he outpointed Tim Means for his fifth win in six fights.

He won’t have it easy.

The Brazilian-born Barboza also has won two straight fights since an upset loss to Jamie Varner, who knocked him out in the first round at UFC 146 back in May 2012. Since that setback, the first of his MMA career, Barboza has stopped Lucas Martins at UFC on FX 7 in January, then finished Rafaello Oliveira with leg kicks at UFC 162 in July, which I saw in person and it was nasty.

Thanks to MMA Mania for the story.

read more

Virgil Zwicker Looking Forward to Fresh Start with Bellator

»Posted by on May 1, 2013 in Company News, Fighter, Virgil Zwicker | Comments Off on Virgil Zwicker Looking Forward to Fresh Start with Bellator

Virgil Zwicker Looking Forward to Fresh Start with Bellator

Courtesy of Bleacher Report

Like many fighters under contract to Strikeforce in the last year, Virgil Zwicker sat waiting for months just hoping his phone would ring.

Zwicker wasn’t a high-profile fighter in the promotion, nor was he a champion at any point, but he was still sitting with fights on his contract with no idea of when he might compete next.

His last fight was in May 2012, and while he enjoyed working with Strikeforce, the inconsistencies of his schedule led to long periods of inactivity, and his training and preparation suffered because of all of the time off.

Why train five times a week with no bout on the horizon and no idea when the next call might come?

After only fighting two times in the past two years, Zwicker is finally happy to have a new contract in hand after signing a multi-fight deal with Bellator Fighting Championships that will allow him to stay very busy for the rest of 2013.

“I’m excited. The last couple of years it’s been inconsistent with Strikeforce and that whole deal with like two fights a year. So I’m pumped up,” Zwicker told Bleacher Report on Tuesday. “They’re going to give me an opportunity to fight four or five times this year.”

Zwicker’s last few fights have been painfully inconsistent, which he attributes largely due to his inactivity. He also finally made the move down to light heavyweight, where he will be competing against fighters his own size.

The plan is for Zwicker to debut in Bellator in the fall and hopefully land a spot in the next light heavyweight tournament that will air on Spike TV.

“There’s a lot of guys I’d love to get in the ring with,” Zwicker said about Bellator’s light heavyweight roster. “I’ve trained with a couple of them; I know they just recently signed my partner and friend Vladimir (Matyushenko). There’s a couple of those Russian guys, I would love to get my hands on them. I fit right in the mix with all of them. The tournament style motivates me to keep on, and you never know what’s going to happen.”

While he has no regrets about his time with Strikeforce, Zwicker is reinvigorated now that he’s signed with Bellator and starting a new life with a new promotion.

Bellator is still growing and finding their way in the MMA market, and Zwicker is excited to join a company that showcases hungry competitors still trying to claw their way to the top.

“Everybody’s hungry,” Zwicker stated when asked why he likes Bellator. “It’s like comparing college to the NFL, everybody’s hungry and everybody still wants to grow. I want to get in that tournament and make it happen.”

read more

Brendan Schaub to Face Matt Mitrione at UFC on Fox 8 in Seattle

»Posted by on Apr 30, 2013 in Brendan Schaub, Featured Fighter, Fighter | Comments Off on Brendan Schaub to Face Matt Mitrione at UFC on Fox 8 in Seattle

Brendan Schaub to Face Matt Mitrione at UFC on Fox 8 in Seattle

 

Courtesy of MMA Fighting

Well, that didn’t last long.

Just a little over two weeks after suspending Matt Mitrione for breaking the UFC Code of Conduct by making transphobic comments against transgender fighter Fallon Fox on this site’s ‘The MMA Hour’, Mitrione’s suspension is over. As someone else already said on Twitter, I’m sure Mitrione really learned his lesson on that two-week suspension. The cause for the suspended sentence? A bout at UFC on FOX 8 opposite ‘The Ultimate Fighter 10’ cast member Brendan Schaub. Alright, then.

UFC President Dana White also said Mitrione was fined for the infraction, but failed to identity a dollar figure. So, after blowback that reached the mainstream press colored the UFC’s ongoing efforts to develop positive relationships with the LGBT community, the UFC’s response is to lift a two-week non-suspension and say ‘trust us, it’s a lot’ on a fine that may or may not exist.

I doubt White or any other UFC brass bowed to pressure from fans who felt the suspension was inappropriate to begin with, but either way they win here. Mitrione’s turnaround between UFC on FUEL TV 8 and UFC on FOX 8 is actually the shortest of his career. Mitrione’s punishment was so short and so inexpensive, in fact, that it literally cannot measured.

read more